Cut the Cost of "Instant" Oatmeal




Now days, we are all looking for ways to stretch a dollar. With the rapidly increasing groceries prices we need to become clever with our shopping lists.

My son loves oatmeal. I love it because it feels him up in the mornings. If he gets hungry at school he turns into a monster. Normally I fix a small bowl of oatmeal on the side with eggs and sausage or something else. As a single mom, my budget is really stretched. One day I did the math and realized how much I was actually spending for those pre-packaged oatmeal packets.

A box of 10 packets costs 2.88. If he eats only one packet on school days the box will lasts two weeks. In one month I can spend 5.76 just on oatmeal. That really doesn't seem that bad. However, he's a growing boy and can eat two or three of those packets at a time. Even though it doesn't seem like much, we have all learned that these little things add up quick. What you are paying for with these packets is the convenience. Which I love. Mornings are not easy in my house. I decided I would make my own packets so I could save both time and money. This is just something extra I put together during my Sunday prep. Even though it seems like I'm adding more time onto myself, I really only do this about once a month or so.



Instant Oatmeal Packets:

Use ziplock bags for each packet and just measure the ingredients right into it. Add 1/2 cup quick-cooking or 1 minute oats into each bag. Add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and a pinch of salt. The great thing about doing it this way is you can adjust it to your tastes. Omit the salt if you want or add dried fruit to it. I grow a lot of different things but the things I don't grow I buy when they are in season and freeze. Or I chop up an apple or banana and throw in there.


Here's the Numbers:

1 box of 10 packets is $2.88 (10 servings ) about 30 cents per serving.
1 can of oats is $3.98  ( 30 servings ) about 12 cents per serving.

At Sam's Club you can purchase a box that contains two five-pound bags costs $7.98
   ( 110 servings ) about 7 cents a serving.

If you continued to buy the pre-packaged packets to get to 110 servings would be 11 boxes at a total of $31.68.

When you are doing your kitchen prep have your kids do this. You spend time together and get them involved. It's almost impossible to mess this one up and if they're doing it themselves, they might be more willing to eat the dried fruit if you choose to throw it in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment